RHS students dispute dress code, prompt change

Due to recent student concerns about the dress code at Revere High School, principal Phil King has sent parents and community members a letter to clarify dress code and put together a committee to help revise areas of the dress code.

School dress codes are justified as safety measures. It is a standard all Revere High School students are required to adhere to. If failure to comply with the dress code occurs, students face a variety of consequences, depending on various factors.
Students need to show respect for authority. In return, the rules need to take current trends into consideration before they ban certain styles of clothing. Enforcement of the dress code must be conducted with clarity and equity.

Some students show their displeasure with the dress code by deliberately defying the dress code.

Perhaps the framework of the protest needs to evolve. Perhaps RHS students just need to find a more effective, rule compliant way to voice their opinions. Perhaps the administration needs to take note of current styles in their judgment of what is appropriate clothing to wear to school. We can discuss these options all day, but the idea of a student-led committee is a good step toward promoting positive change.

Schools need to have dress codes, and students need to follow them; however, there is always room for discussion, and student voice at a committee meeting stands a much greater chance of being heard than simply breaking the rules.

Do you want to have a role in changing the dress code? Don’t break the rules, talk to a committee member.