Lantern

Political division limits free thinking Americans

Michael McKee, Associate Editor

With the midterm elections fast approaching, politicians, celebrities and news outlets are reminding everyone to get out and vote. It seems that whenever I turn on the news however, everyone has their own agenda and is determined to undermine anyone with different beliefs.

With the recent inauguration of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, the political parties of the United States are more divided than ever before. I like to keep myself informed on what is going on outside the bubble of RHS, but whenever I try and do so, I either find myself watching a table of Democrats laughing at our president, or I see a table of Republicans sitting in a circle slandering the Democrats. During a recent rally in Erie, Pennsylvania, President Trump stated that the Democrats were turning into “an angry left-wing mob” (CNN). Other Republican officials such as Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz have also used the mob term.

In all respects, I would not say they are entirely wrong, while there are some cases where the freedom of speech should not be categorized as a mob mentality, there are also some alarming requests from Democratic leaders. Eric Holder, former Attorney General of the United States, stated that “When they go low, we kick ‘em. That’s what this new Democratic Party is about” (TWP).  A few minutes later, Holder clarified he does not mean anything illicit. This kind of encouragement of violence towards somebody voicing their opinions is unconstitutional and dangerous coming from such a revered Democratic official. It is a sad time in our country when the political party you associate yourself with could get you hurt or hated.

It is okay to have a belief that differs from someone else’s, but someone else’s belief should not make you feel hatred towards them, but instead respect their constitutional right. In Lantern our staff holds a monthly staff editorial meeting for each issue, and it is an amazing thing because even when we do not agree with each-other on hot political topics we can all get along easily. While I am not old enough to vote in these upcoming midterms, I urge you to not be swayed by the opinions of others, and vote for what you think is right.